Thursday, October 18, 2012

Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg


Read while home alone? definitely
Tissues needed? probably
Overall rating: 4.5 stars

Summary:
After their marriage dissolved many years ago, the main thing Irene and John have in common is their love for their daughter Sadie. Sadie is now 18 years old and making her own decisions, including some that put her in challenging situations. Somehow the “family” of three works through their problems while each grows as an individual.

Reaction:
I really like Elizabeth Berg’s writing. She weaves such a nice story with characters I can relate to and who I want to be happy. This book doesn’t disappoint, though Sadie’s first problem seemed to get solved a little too quickly and easily.  The time frame of this event was also odd to me, in that Sadie didn’t get information to her parents fast enough in my opinion. All the same, I could overlook those blips to enjoy a terrific story that explores family challenges as well as the personal problems we bring into relationships.

How much do you think your family of origin impacts marriage/family of choice? 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I do think my family of origin impacted what I was looking for in my own marriage and subsequent family. Even though my family of choice may appear quite different than my family of origin - the core values remain.

    ReplyDelete