Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Sixes by Kate White


Read while home alone? mostly yes, but some parts might 
                                   require another human's presence!
Tissues needed? nope
Overall rating: 4.5 stars

Summary:
Celebrity gossip author Phoebe Hall experienced some personal and professional calamities and is taking time out of the high profile scene to teach at a small Pennsylvania college. Unfortunately she chases trouble there as she seeks to find out about The Sixes, a secret society of female students who are creating havoc on campus. Some students have been murdered and Phoebe is determined to discover if The Sixes have gone too far or if there is a serial killer at work. Will Phoebe find the truth before she becomes the next target?

Reaction:
This was a great book! It’s been awhile since I’ve read a book I couldn’t put down until I finished, but also didn’t want it to end. I liked that there were several characters who mixed things up and were potential suspects. I kept thinking I knew “whodunit,” but then something new happened that made me think someone else was involved—great suspenseful writing! There was some delving into Phoebe’s past that was an interesting side story and added a little extra to the main plot. The one thing that kept me from giving The Sixes a full 5 stars was closure. The characters I thought were guilty didn’t quite explain their odd behaviors at the end. Not a serious problem for me, but I would have enjoyed just a little more finality. I’ve already requested a few other books by Kate White at the library, and I hope they’re just as well written!

What’s the last book you LOVED? 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting - I grew up (and went to college) in Pennsylvania so would probably enjoy it even more because of that.

    I just finished reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese and I really really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often enjoy books more when I'm familiar with the setting, too, so you should definitely try The Sixes!

    And Cutting for Stone is now on my library list...thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete