Sunday, September 16, 2012

Reading Rut


I’ve been in a bit of a reading rut lately. What were the signs?
  •         I’ve been reading the same book for a week and a half. And it isn’t War and Peace.
  •          Two books were due at the library and I hadn’t even read them.
  •          I chose to spend precious evening hours on Pinterest and bad television. For a week.

 Once I self-diagnosed my rut, I tried to think of some causes. Here’s what I came up with:
  • ·      Toddler Train Man just had a birthday, complete with parties. Yes, parties with an “s.” Extended family, our family, friends…all fun, none too overboard, but a bit of a time drain. 
  • ·      I haven’t been getting as much sleep as I should, and Pinterest and bad television take a lot less mental stamina than a good book.
  • ·      I haven’t found books lately that have captured my attention. I’ve been browsing the “new” shelves at the library and have tried several that looked promising, but they just weren’t what I needed at the time. Hard to get motivated to read a so-so book.
  • ·      With summer ending and fall arriving we seem to have increased our activities, so I’ve lost some reading time in that mix. Oh to be on the beach again…

 And now, to escape the rut, my game plan:
  • ·      I spotted and checked out some books by a few of my go-to authors: Carol Higgins Clark and Sophie Kinsella. Both are fun, fluffy books that probably won’t change my outlook on life, but hopefully they’ll get me back into my reading groove. (tangent: Aren’t ruts and grooves synonyms? So why would I be looking to get out of a rut only to get into a groove? hmmm…I really do need to get reading again. Quickly!)
  • ·      It was a lucky day at library check-out: the new Tom Angleberger book was waiting for me (The Secret of the Fortune Wookie). I really enjoyed the first two books in the series (read about the first book here) and while the series is written for children I think they’re awesome. My husband agrees. In fact he was pretty excited to see me reading it when he came home—he knows it won’t be long until it’s his turn!
  • ·      A little guilt trip on myself. I feel badly for not posting here in awhile, so I need to get moving. (disclaimer: I just posted about Twenty Thirty by Albert Brooks, but I read it awhile ago, so that was kind of a cheater) I doubt I’ll review my fluff books, but just knowing they’re there to jump start my reading is all I need. I hope.

On the upside, I did get some great ideas for birthday parties and Halloween costumes on Pinterest! I also discovered some new-to-me blogs that I’m enjoying. And Train Man’s books have taken on a new appeal. So it hasn’t been a total loss, but I’ll be glad to get reading again!

What gets you into reading ruts? What do you do to get out of them?


Great news: I did it...I’m out of my reading rut! I read Gypped by Carol Higgins Clark, I’ve Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella, and The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger and I’m back in the reading game. Ahhhh…

4 comments:

  1. I love pinterest and find some great ideas there but it is a huge time suck. I have been in a reading rut since my first daughter was born - I'm hoping your blog will help get me out of it - I'm thinking a Kindle would help too. Happy birthday to Train Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who gets pulled into the Pinterest vortex! :) I've been wondering where you get books--do you have a library nearby? And Train Man has learned to say, "Thank you," for the birthday wishes...I think a birthday that lasts a month helps learn birthday etiquette!

      Delete
  2. I think similar causes get my into reading ruts. Love your solution for getting out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope some of those ideas can help you when you need it, Maryanne! Like Mud Hut Mama I think having kids makes reading for pleasure much more challenging!

    ReplyDelete